Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A Suggestion


This is a followup to the box of 2013 Topps MLS I opened. 

Let's be honest I had never even heard of probably 80% of the players featured in the base set, and I am a soccer fan. Men's soccer is, to be honest, overshadowed in this country by women's soccer. Now while MLS has slowly built itself into a success the women's leagues have struggled financially with each one only last two or three seasons before going bankrupt then a new one popping up. But on the international side where the world watches, the US men can't hold a candle to the women. It mostly comes down to the simple fact that the women win and have been among the best in the world for the last 25 years while the men plod along as a second or third tier international side that can't get over the hump. 

SO...in light of the recent World Cup winning performance by the US Women's National Team I think one of the card companies should put out a set commemorating the team. Presumably this would be Panini as they currently hold the US Soccer license. I know they did one of their sticker sets before the World Cup but that kind of product has an extremely small audience. I think this set would generate a heck of a lot more interest than an MLS set and could maybe spur a growth in the card collecting hobby among young girls as well. 

I for one would pay good money for a set featuring the likes of...


Tobin Heath,


Alex Morgan, and of course


World Cup final hero Carli Lloyd.

The set could also include past members of the National Team including those who played on the '91 and '99 winning teams. And of course it must include autos and relics!


Just a suggestion.....DO IT!!!!

Maybe they already have something in the works?

3 comments:

  1. An Alex Morgan autograph is very, very, very high on my wantlist! C'mon Panini (or Topps)... you can do it! I believe in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are out there. There were some WPS (I think) cards in 2011 Upper Deck Soccer including autos. But IIRC they are pretty rare and of course very expensive. There have been other USWNT players in Panini Americana and UD Goodwin Champions but they're few and far between. It's time they get a product dedicated to just them and their awesome accomplishments.

      Delete
    2. If and when they do... I'll be in line to buy a box (and I don't usually bust boxes... unless it's right after a Black Friday sale... or it's cheap boxes I find at the flea market).

      Delete