Thursday, January 9, 2014

Christmas boxes- part 5-final; and probably the best card I pulled on Christmas

The last box I opened was a complete mystery as to what it would bring.

A retail box of 2000 Upper Deck Black Diamond Rookie Edition.

Not knowing anything about this set along with it's non-flagship set status is what drew me to this set. It turned out to be quite a fun break. Here is what the base cards look like.


Like normal the scan doesn't do it justice. These are gorgeous cards with bright red foiling. The base set checklist had 90 veterans and then a group of rookies. The rookie cards are all short printed so as a result I ended up with a near full set of the veterans plus a decent sized stack of duplicates. I may include some of these in future trade packages.


Bobby Abreu gold parallel 0202/1000


Tomokazu Ohka Rookie Gems SP 0342/1000


Tomas de La Rosa Rookie Treasures Gold 033/500

Side note; it was fun to bust a box with Expos cards again! Haven't seen those in awhile.

Now here are some samples of the insert sets.



Brand new Hall of Famer!



Some of these inserts remind me of the old Metal Universe sets. Those were a favorite of mine when I was a kid.

Now the odds given on the box meant that I had about a 1 in 2 chance of pulling a relic from the box. 



I was a pretty happy camper at this point having pulled two jersey relics when I wasn't guaranteed any. Then near the bottom of the box I pulled this beauty...



I hate the Yankees. But I have tons of respect for Jeter. He's spent his whole career playing the game the way it's meant to be played.


The card isn't numbered but the box states that there were 1,000 made. I haven't been able to find any others of these. Probably one of my top three pulls in 2013.


Well that's it folks! 







2 comments: