Monday, May 2, 2016

Show Box 3- 2016 Gypsy Queen

Gypsy Queen is a set I fell in love with in 2013 when I started collecting again. Then I very quickly fell out of love with it in 2014 when it became more expensive without delivering better quality content. This is a product that should be no more than $80 a box. I would say $70 but since most of the autos are on-card it does merit an extra bump. GQ is a low-mid end product that sells at a high-mid end price. As such I haven't bought a box since 2013. But at the show..I dunno, it just caught my eye. Maybe it's because Cal Ripken is the cover boy this year and is a PC player of mine. So for whatever reason I took the plunge and bought a box, 



Purple Frame parallel 224/250


218/250


108/250


167/250


02/50



The Glove Stories inserts have always been mildly interesting but I really like this one of Billy Burns. Dark borders on cards are a favorite of mine so this one looks great to my eyes.




1998 me would have gone insane over this card.


As I slow-revealed this card left to right I saw the D-backs jersey and the P in the signature and thought "Yes! Goldy!" But then I saw the RC logo. -_-


Green parallel 11/99

Pulling a color auto from GQ is a pretty rare feat for me. As in, this is the first time ever.


So this was a bland box, I think. The McGwire relic was nice as was the gold Hank Aaron mini. But overall it was typical GQ. About $20 worth of content from a $100 box.

Meh.

2 comments:

  1. I just cracked my box as well... if that Kimbrel mini is available, hit me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on GQ. Just not enough bang for your buck. I also took the plunge in 2013 and vowed never to do it again. Cost way too much to put the set together. I continue just to cherry pick cards I want off of eBay.

    ReplyDelete