Sunday, March 23, 2014

Birthday break pt. 3

The next box I busted was one I was a little wary of. I had seen some people say that it was a rather boring set. It also came out during the strike shortened season. But the price was right so I bit.

2012/13 Panini Certified hobby box
10 packs per box
5 cards per pack
Every box contains four hits including at least one autograph


I didn't find the base set as boring as I had been prepared for it to be. I know some people don't like cards where the background behind the player is blurred or even non-existent. It doesn't bother me, at least to a point. Overall I would give the base set a B. Nothing special but not terrible either.

In edition to the promised hits the box also contained a good amount of numbered inserts.






Mirror Red parallel

And the hits





This one was a last pack winner. And based on my research this card should have pretty good resell value, if I did that sort of thing. Other hockey collector, what do you think? I didn't see anything Junior Class dual autos on COMC and eBay only had some lower end players.


Overall this was a so-so break for me. I wasn't wowed by anything in the box, save for the Phaneuf/Nugent-Hopkins dual auto. Not knowing nearly as much about hockey cards as baseball..I would guess that this is a set that debuts at way too high a price compared to the attractiveness and value of the content. But after a year plus of sitting on the shelf it came down to a price that was more around where it should be. I got the box for less than $50 which I think is an excellent price after factoring in that the dual auto may be worth a good bit more than that, (just an assumption). But I wouldn't have paid much more than that.

2 comments:

  1. In the right world, that Nugent-Hopkins should be a star card. However, until the Oilers start doing something with all the youth they have, it's kind of a dud. In the sense that it will sell, and you will probably get back your $50. But it should easily go for double or triple what it would sell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Cool pickups. Always nice when Birthday Booty has to be divided into multiple posts.

    ReplyDelete