Wednesday, November 16, 2016

2016 Donruss Optic hobby box

When Optic was first announced I was willing to give it a shot. It seems like Panini is following Topps' lead on low-end products as of late. Optic is obviously supposed to compare to Topps Chrome. At the fairly cheap price point I thought it worth opening a box to see how it was. It ended up being a fun break!


#144/299


#108/199


#031/149


El Oso Blanco


We are so used to seeing autographs using blue ink that it feels odd to see a card signed in black. I like it. This was also the first of three times that I pulled Aaron Nola's auto in one day. More on that in future posts..

Donruss Optic is overall a decent product in it's first go round. Optic replaced Panini Prizm as the low end chrome offering in their lineup. I think Optic's base cards are more pleasing to the eye than Prizm. The parallels are where Prizm knocked it out of the park but Optic, while not exactly falling flat, feels more "been there done that". Prizm and Optic both had/have the insert autos with stickers that are nothing special. The on-card autos look nice in both, I think. So really I see Optic as on the same level as Prizm was. No better, no worse. But Prizm probably won't be coming back. Optic just makes more sense as the chrome companion to the regular Donruss flagship set. And I'm ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment