Monday, April 28, 2014

Card show bounty Pt.1

As I mentioned in my last post, this past Saturday I went to a show in Charlotte. There is a series of shows put on in NC by a company/group/person called Inside Pitch Promotions. They hold one show about every month rotating between Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte and Hickory. I've been to the Hickory show twice but had to miss the last two. This month was Charlotte's turn and as it was only a little farther drive for me than Hickory I couldn't pass it up. Boy am I glad I went! This show was probably twice as big as the Hickory shows in number of vendors. I had a blast perusing all the tables and deciding what to spend my money on. I'm going to split up my reports on my haul between a few posts.

First up will be three hobby packs of '14 Gypsy Queen. As both my local Wal-marts STILL don't have GQ in stock picking some up was a priority of mine at the show. The vendor I bought from also always has a table in Hickory and he always seems...a bit sketchy to me. And he lived up to that reputation. The open box of GQ he had still contained the mini-box. While I am no fan of minis I know that these always have a hit in them. I asked him how much for the box and he said $5, same price as a pack.

Win!

But then I picked up the box and saw that it had VERY obviously been opened already. If this guy was my LCS owner I would avoid his store at all costs. Talk about shady.

I didn't say anything to him about it but decided to go ahead and buy three packs.


I like the design on this year's Glove Stories.


I love cards with players wearing throwback uniforms, especially true old school uniforms.


Boom! Despite the sketch mini box I did manage to land one of the hits from the box. 


I also did my usual searching for good prices on hits. Anything will do if it catches my eye and the price is right. I ended up picking up two cards that fit nicely in my collection.

I've been toying with the idea of starting a HoF player relic collection and this Frank Thomas relic will help me on my way. I will always think of The Big Hurt as a White Sox player so it was a little odd to see this card listing him as a Blue Jay while showing him in an A's jersey with a swatch that appears to be from an A's green alternate jersey. Still, I got it for $5 and for a guy just elected to the HoF I felt like that was a great price.



#020/199

I'm always on the lookout for Braves hits. And the sketch dealer I mentioned above had a box full of hits that I quickly leafed through. I happened upon one card near the back that I immediately wanted. A Craig Kimbrel patch card from 2013 Tribute WBC edition. I knew it would be out of my price range. Then I turned it over and say the sticker that said $8! WHAT?! Yep! $8! Sketch dealer redeemed himself in my eyes a little with this one.


#093/131



More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment