Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Card Show report- The Chrome and the (Road) Gray

Continuing on my card show experience:

I found another dealer with a few packs of 2004 Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome for $1 each. I found this right before I was intending to leave and I had $4 cash left in my wallet so I figured the price was right and grabbed two packs of each. None of the packs were all that spectacular but they did yield one refractor parallel from each set.





One of my goals going into the show was to find a Chipper Jones relic. Chipper's rookie year in 1995 was the same year that I developed my interest in baseball and subsequently baseball cards and he immediately became my favorite player. So as I had yet to acquire a relic of his I figured this would be a good opportunity to find one. The first dealer table I checked out was manned by an obvious die-hard Yankees fan by the name of Frank. He was decked out in Yanks garb and had a very pronounced Bronx accent. Frank had a large box jammed full of relics and autos. While I searched through the box he and I had a good conversation about the state of baseball as well as the hobby. He told me about growing up in the Bronx in the 70's and sitting out in the bleachers for a few games every summer at old Yankee Stadium. 

Near the back of the box I found two cards that really piqued my interest. The first was a dual auto of Brandon Beachy and Julio Teheran. The sticker was $30 and as much as I would have loved to have had it I decided to pass. But right behind it was a 2007 UD Masterpieces Captured on Canvas Chipper Jones jersey relic! Goal completed! The sticker price was $10 and when I handed it to him he looked at it for a second and said "five bucks." Thanks Frank!!




While I was there I bought cards from one other dealer, most of which I will show in another post. He had hobby boxes of 2013 Topps S1 and S2 open to sell loose packs for $2 apiece. On the boxes he had signs that said "Buy two or more packs and get a free gift". So I decided to take advantage and bought two packs of S2. Those were not all that interesting besides a Prince Fielder Cut to the Chase, but the free gift was interesting. He had a stack of plain silver foil packs that each contained one vintage Topps card from the 50s-70s. Here's what I got.


1961 Topps #134 Mickey Vernon


Not a particularly valuable card but seeing as I previously owned nothing produced before 1980 it was still a cool thing to get. And an interesting fact, Vernon is the MLB record holder for most double plays participated in by a first baseman.


One last post about the card show will be coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment